Monday, August 31, 2009

"The More I See You" cont'd.

Send me your sounds
I left off talking about learning, i.e., i learned that sometimes i learn stuff out of losing something. vague enough? right, i know. but you know what, vagueness. (vague-osity) is part of what happens in life when we breathe in and out. in other words, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule that can be applied to this crazed rush from birth to death, at least in terms of causality.

Why things happen when they do is at best a reason to believe (in Something or Someone) or not. Hence the vague-osity factor. and what's this got to do with that seemingly inevitable point during each session that stops me dead...in this case, my discovery that the setup from the day before remained past the point of usefulness--i.e., the recording connections between my piano and the USB interface was set for recording my voice (in mono) instead of the piano (in stereo)?

Well i guess from my standpoint, my curiosity about this whole idea of:
WHY THINGS HAPPEN THE WAY THEY DO.

So, what happened after making this discovery?

I swore lots. I cursed my stupidity and the fact that i had to retrace my steps and destroy a perfectly good --yet ultimately unusable--track. but i made it through the ordeal by calmly resigning myself to my task: record another pass, this time in stereo.

Big deal, right?

Well, truthfully was it not for the sheer repetitive phenomenon (redundant?) of screwing like this EACH and EVERY time, maybe i could be a little less dramatic about, but, alas, such is not the case. maybe in a few months.

Don't know for sure but i do know that it won't be today cuz no sooner had i realized what i had done and prepared to re-record the intro, this time with a properly routed piano, i screwed up again.

this time it was a virtual miscue.

i got all set up for recording the piano intro:
reset the metronome for a count-in two measures before the start of live recording
set the record mode to punch in and not regular recording
and pressed record.

everything was great until i played the first chord and heard an acoustic bass, not a piano.
yep.

in my disappointment, frustration and haste to move past the fuck-up, i had forgotten to change the patch on my piano. it was set to the last pass i made: laying down a bass track.
oh well, live and learn? live, screw-up and then screw-up again is more like it.

anyway, what happens next, in this 'The More I See You" part of the ChetBakerProject?

I made it through all the tracks except the trumpet track, which for some reason gave me the most problems. i just couldn't seem to play a convincing solo on the changes i had laid down.

but, after a few hundred passes, i finally got something that could at least act as a place-keeper between vocal choruses. and the vocal itself?

uh...not so much really. i am finding that singing is not as easy as i thought. not by a freakin long shot. Intonation is proving to be a humbling experience. Each note, every phrase must be in tune. and holy shit.

i've had to adjust my estimation of every singer that i've ever judged to make room for the woeful inadequacies i am continuously confronting with respect to how much my own singing sucks.

but with experience comes wisdom right?

right.

we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment